Thursday 13 November 2014

It's my birthday, so today you get my top 10.....

  Today I'm 50. I should stop banging on about the music that I like and go smoke a pipe or something. Music is for the kids. etc. But one good thing about being an old sod is that I remember buying great albums like Inflammable Material and Machine Gun Etiquette when they were first released (ok, I admit I didn't jump on the bandwagon quickly enough to appreciate New Rose or Anarchy In The Uk when they first emerged kicking and spitting but I wasn't aware of that kinda thing until cooler schoolmates pointed me in the right direction).
  Ever since those days I've soaked up a hell of a lot of great music (and quite a lot of rubbish), from punk, through goth, c-86 type indie and then thanks to the internet, finding a whole world of previously undiscovered sounds.
  Anyway, it's my birthday so the latest top 10 selection is chosen by me. I'm not in a band (no musical talent whatsoever resides within me), neither am I a decent writer but it's my party and I'll compile a chart if I want to. It's not full of exciting new stuff that you haven't heard before, it's just a collection of the songs I've probably stuck on more mixtapes down the years than any other songs. Songs that I never tire of listening to. Songs that are (to my grizzled old ears) classics. Thanks for reading, enjoy the important part, the songs.....


 1) The Clash - Stay Free


 2) The Clash - (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais


 3) Stiff Little Fingers - Wasted Life


 4) Buzzcocks - What Do I Get


 5) The Wedding Present - Once More


 6) Husker Du - Books About UFO's


 7)  Talulah Gosh - Bringing Up Baby


 8) The Lillingtons - X-Ray Spex



 9) Snuff - Dicky Trois


10) My Bloody Valentine - Strawberry Wine


2 comments: