Tuesday 26 May 2015

The Lids - R.H.T.S



"No More School, No More Work".......  

Today's song is an upbeat, energetic number that's straight out of the garage. It came out in 2004 on Rip Off Records and is by Atlanta, Georgia's The Lids. The band were a short lived affair which featured Alix Brown (who's already appeared in this blog alongside Jay Reatard as part of Angry Angles : http://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/angry-angles-you-fell-in.html ), Bobby Ubangi (aka Benjamin Jay Womack, who was a founder member of Carbonas as well as a member of Gaye Blades and Black Lips and who tragically died in 2009 of cancer aged just 35), Dave Rahn (Carbonas, Gentleman Jesse & His Men), Mark Naumann and Valery Lovely.

  They released the 3 track Too Late 7" in 2003 (released on bassist Mark Naumann's Die Slaughterhaus label) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9C7Kc3M7Y) before returning a year later with their self titled album (Rip Off Records #067). Featuring high tempo, enthusiastic punk n roll songs which mix male and female vocals it's definitely recommended checking out. Most of the tracks are on this youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmkxVPGUT3b7hK8KCr_kkiQ/videos

  A rather enthusiastic live review on Terminal Boredom by Rich Kroneiss ran something like this :

"Hitting in the third spot were The Lids from Atlanta, one of the bands I was most excited see all weekend. I fell in love with their single the minute it landed on my doorstep. I was a bit worried, as I had heard previous reports of incompetent live shows, but that was obviously bad information, because The Lids fucking killed it. Drummer, guitarist/singer, bass player, and a three girl harmony section front and center decked out in great duds and tambourines. And when I say girls, I mean the really good-looking variety. To steal a great description from my colleague Sir Mitch Cardwell, it was like "Supercharger meets the Shangri-La's in a dumpster" or something like that. They played the hits from the single and a bunch of other great songs. The girls had moves, and kept every guy's attention I'm sure. The one on the left was my personal favorite, but they were all lookers. Their bass player looked mean, and I quite enjoyed it when he kicked some dude with two-tone hair square in the face. Fucking cool. I later found out he was the guy who ran Die Slaughterhaus, and was a real nice guy. A frenzied dance party erupted in front of the stage. Girls were everywhere. The set was done, and I immediately gushed to anyone who would listen about how great the Lids just were. Most agreed."

  Currently stuck in my head, this is R.H.T.S..........




No comments:

Post a Comment